I don’t know about you, but I am feeling the spring fever already. This is the time of the year for starting fresh and what a better way to do that than a nice healthy spring cleaning? You know, the kind of cleaning where you make it your mission to get the dust out of every nook and cranny? Cleaning where you actually find a rightful home for your things instead of the nearest closet, drawer, or shelf. (Please tell me I am not the only one who does this!)
As much as I find a totally clean space an invigorating feeling, achieving this in my house takes a full day of hard work and all hands on deck. In effort to coerce the hubby to tackle this task with me (despite the fact it was absolutely beautiful out today), I thought my best shot would be bribery. I am sure this is a common theme among husbands, but mine tends to be more cooperative with a belly full of something tasty.
As I mentioned in this post about the wonderful benefits of Omega 3s, I am not a fan of seafood or anything fishy tasting. The hubbs on the other hand is a huge seafood fanatic. He loves eating seaweed and kelp and adds these flavors to many of the foods that he eats. I wanted to earn brownie points by making something just for him, and I knew just what I had to make…..a vegan fish fillet sandwich.
This sandwich is really simple to make and takes about 15-20 minutes from start to finish. The super firm tofu is breaded with a seafood-esque seasoning and is lightly fried until golden brown and crispy. And what fish sandwich would be complete without tartar sauce? I made a quick and easy sauce using vegan mayo and pickles.
My husband absolutely raved about this sandwich and thought this faux fish fillet reminded him of the real thing. You will be happy to hear that this bribery attempt was successful. After devouring two sandwiches, he happily assisted me in getting this place spic and span.
I hope you enjoy!
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 small pickles, diced
- ½ TB lemon juice
- 1 cup GF Brown Rice Cereal, crushed
- 2 tsp kelp powder
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 16 oz pkg tofu, super firm
- olive oil
- Dice the pickes and mix with the vegan mayo and lemon juice.
- Refrigerate while preparing the tofu.
- Seal the Brown Rice Cereal in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or glass to crush the cereal into a powder.
- Pour the kelp, paprika, garlic powder and salt in the same bag and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Cut the tofu block to your desired thickness (I like to do 4 pieces).
- Preheat skillet on medium low heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Brush the tofu with olive oil and dip into breading and place into skillet.
- Cook the tofu for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with tartar sauce.
I like the high protein tofu from Trader Joe's for this job (it is super firm)!