I don’t know about ya’ll, but it has been cold and snowy in my neck of the woods this new year and the winter blues is now rocking full throttle here. The sunrise, however, was so spectacular today that it quickly reminded me of a lazy Cancun morning brushed on a pink and red canvas. The sound of birds, the scent of the sea, toes in the sand, pina coladas, wait, did someone just say pina coladas? Pina coladas for breakfast? How daring. Yes! I’m gonna make pina colada muffins! I get to turn on the oven, warm up the kitchen and go bananas with pineapples.
As I mentioned in my green smoothie post, I have been in a tropical state of mind lately and so I had some pineapple and bananas left that needed to be used. I also had just read this post from The Food Revolution Network regarding the benefits of pineapple. Apparently, pineapple has tons of bromelain which is superior to a chemo agent 5-FU in treating cancer. It seemed like this pineapple was destined to land in my tummy today. Hello, sweet thang!
These little gems are whole grain, gluten free, vegan, oil free, and have no added sugar. The oats make them very filling with just the perfect touch of sweetness from the pineapple and banana. The chia seeds give the muffins a healthy dose of omega 3s and provide anti-inflammatory action. To tie the coloda to the pina, I chose coconut milk and shredded coconut. To give them a little extra energy boost and nice color, I topped them with green matcha and coconut shreds when I pulled them from the oven.
These muffins turned out very moist and delicious. With every bite, I was whisked back to that Cancun morning I remembered. I enjoyed mine with a nice glass of fresh pressed carrot juice. My husband obviously liked them too because he devoured three muffins before I could finish one.
I hope you enjoy yours and that it brings a bit of sunshine into your kitchen.
- 2½ cups Whole Grain Oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ pineapple, diced & shredded
- 2 TBS unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 TB chia seeds
- Matcha powder topping (optional): 2 tbs unsweetened coconut shreds & ¼ tsp matcha powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with liners or spray with non stick oil.
- Grind the oats into a flour in the food processor.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt to the oat flour and pulse.
- Throw in the bananas, ½ cup of the pineapple, coconut milk, and vanilla extract into the food processor and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl or use your food processor if possible to fold in the rest of the ingredients (remaining pineapple, chia seeds, and coconut).
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Prepare matcha powder topping by mixing the coconut shreds with the matcha powder and then sprinkle on the finished muffin.