Today is National Cheese Lover’s Day. Who says that being vegan has to exclude you from such an awesome holiday? There are many different vegan cheese options out there to choose from. Ranging from pre-packaged store made faux cheeses to cheese made from nuts, nooch, or other cool ways. I chose to celebrate with this bang up dish.
It combines Teese Creamy Chedder Cheese sauce from Chicago Vegan Foods with a nooch based cheese sauce created in my very own kitchen. This combination is super tasty and a perfect rival to its real cheese counterpart. This version is also gluten free by using brown rice noodles and brown rice cereal to make the “breadcrumbs” for the topping.
To really jazz this dish up, I added truffle oil. If you have never had a truffle dish, you do not know what you are missing. Me and Truffle have been besties since we first met a few years ago in an Olive Oil tasting bar. I find excuses to use it in everything because it really takes a dish from ordinary to extraordinary. The truffle makes any food fancier, in my opinion.
This Truffle Mac & Cheese is baked just like mom used to make with the perfectly golden and crunchy top layer and the creamy gooey inner layer. This can be made as one large casserole or in smaller ramekins for individual servings. It is excellent either way.
Hope you enjoy and don’t forget to say CHEEEEEEEESE on Twitter @bc_maven and on Instagram #breastcancermaven.
- 16 ounces GF Elbows (or whole wheat pasta if no problem with gluten)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 1 cup nut milk (I use flax)
- 2 TB Tamari (or soy sauce if no problem with gluten)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup of olive oil (For truffled mac, I pour half truffle oil and half plain oil)
- 1 Teese creamy chedder sauce (10 ounces)
- 1 cup brown rice cereal
- 4 TB vegan butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, rinse, and set aside.
- Mix all sauce ingredients (except the Teese) in a blender or food processor and combine well.
- Pour mixture into pan and squeeze in Teese Creamy Chedder Sauce.
- Heat on low heat until until creamy and turn off heat.
- Add cooked pasta and stir.
- Pour pasta into lightly greased glass casserole dish or ramekins.
- Prepare the topping by placing brown rice cereal in a sandwich bag.
- Crush the cereal into “breadcrumbs” using a rolling pin or glass.
- Once crushed, pour in the garlic powder and shake to mix.
- Sprinkle the top of the macaroni with the crushed cereal.
- Cut the vegan butter on top of the crumbs. (I use a medium grater to make this easier.)
- Place the macaroni in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.